Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Cheerio Kerio

I note with a wisp of sadness that Kerio Technologies, the makers of a fine free software firewall that I've used on several PCs over the years, will discontinue its Kerio Personal Firewall at the end of the year.

Kerio said it will continue to support its product for all customers through 2006, though it will not be actively developing any new features or functionality. If I were still using this product on any of my machines, I would probably bail before the end of next year: Firewall software frequently needs security updates just like any other piece of software, and it's difficult to tell from Kerio's notice whether security patches for the software will be made available through 2006.

If you're using Kerio's product, there are still several trusty free firewall options out there. To name just a few (and I'd welcome any other suggestions via the comment section below):

By Brian Krebs  |  November 1, 2005; 9:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Apple Patches Five Holes
Next: Sony Raids Hacker Playbook

Comments

For those of you looking to recycle old computers, there are any number of ways to configure them into very robust firewalls that will protect your whole network. One neat example is m0n0wall [http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/index.php]. Stick that on an old computer with two NICs, and you have a pretty robust firewall/router.

Posted by: ouij | November 1, 2005 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Another firewall product is Black Ice by ISS.

Posted by: Paul | November 1, 2005 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Sygate was recently bought by Symantec, so their free firewall version will probably disapear soon.

Posted by: Sygate Fan | November 1, 2005 3:00 PM | Report abuse

[WAsn't

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2005 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't Kerio named Tiny before it was named Kerio?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2005 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I've been using kerio products for years. I just replaced our firms exchange server with Kerio MailServer. Product is great, less spam, easyer to use and the new 6.1.1 release rocks. To bad about the other products, but that is the way it goes.

Posted by: Jim Fox | November 3, 2005 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I personally like the CHX Security Toolkit for Windows boxes.
Non-commercial free license.
The only design decision they made I would have done different - Global rules override more specific interface rules. I prefer it the other way round. General rules at the global level overridden at the interface level.
Probably not for the novice, but I like it's similarity to Linux iptables syntax.
They additionally support NAT & content filtering (sort of like snort). NAT is handy if you run an internal MS loopback interface and/or virtual machines.

Posted by: Kode Hollerith | November 3, 2005 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I have used AVG for a couple of years and have found it to be robust and easy to use. AVG is free for noncommercial use. It not only includes a firewall but also antivirus and antispam applicates. It automatically updates itself daily, it is fast at performing its checks of an entire disk or single file, and does not appear to hog system resources. While I cannot vouch for other antivirus programs, I know it plays nicely with Symantec Internet Security Suite, as I run both of them in tandem.

Posted by: S. C. C. Smith | November 4, 2005 3:07 PM | Report abuse

If you install Sygate, make sure you really really want it, because it is the very devil to remove from your system.

Posted by: fatboy | November 4, 2005 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fatboy | November 4, 2005 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Must be a coincidence?

The first two times I tried to view your article it crashed Internet Explorer!

Jim H.

Posted by: James J Horning | November 8, 2005 12:14 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

RSS Feed