Finally, Happy Indictment Day!

Note: I was robbed at knifepoint last night -- 8:27 p.m., to be exact -- so I'm feeling extra cynical today. I will attempt to keep my cynicism in parenthesis.

From the AP:

V.P. aide Libby indicted!
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Vice presidential adviser I. Lewis "Scooter' Libby Jr. was indicted Friday on obstruction of justice, false statement and perjury charges in the CIA leak case.

Those are very serious charges -- but perhaps not as much so as a conspiracy charge would have been. A conspiracy could bring down members of the administration like dominos. Of course, the fact that the charges are against the man who's been called Dick Cheney's alterego is quite significant. Waiting on details and reaction from bloggers. Will Libby resign? What do you Debaters think?

(FYI: Marion Barry was indicted today, too. His crime? Failing to file his tax return.)

As we await more information on Libby, let's shift to Rove, who will not be indicted today but reportedly will remain under investigation. I find this intriguing, from the Post's story:

Rove provided new information to Fitzgerald during eleventh-hour negotiations that "gave Fitzgerald pause" about charging Bush's senior strategist, said a source close to Rove. "The prosecutor has to resolve those issues before he decides what to do."
This raised the possibility of a new grand jury getting the case because the term for the current grand jury expires today.

What could Rove have said during these 11th-hour negotiations? Rove is shrewd -- could he have sold out Scooter Libby (well, more than he had already) in order to save his own hide? Why did it take so long? (Cynical Emily says: Maybe it just took that long to come up with a workable cover story.)

For those still trying to catch up on all this, Arianna Huffington offers a cheat sheet on the leak scandal. Yes, it has an easily distinguished point of view, but that's what Debate is all about, right?

By Emily Messner |  October 28, 2005; 12:50 PM ET  | Category:  Beltway Perspectives
Previous: Will Bush's Base Stand By Their Man? | Next: Republicans Try to Change the Subject

Comments

NIXON ADMINISTRATION:
Dick Cheney

Posted by: Long Beach, CA | October 28, 2005 01:13 PM

When asked for comment about why he failed to file his tax returns, Marion Barry pled his innocence, proclaiming, "the bitch set me up!" :)

Derek.

Posted by: Derek | October 28, 2005 01:19 PM

So if the President gets all his news from within the WH, and there are treasonous, dishonest people in his inner circle, does that mean the President is an "enemy combatant"?

Posted by: Jason | October 28, 2005 01:20 PM

NIXON ADMINISTRATION:
Dick Cheney
Don Rumsfeld
Secret Tapes
A Cabal
Lies to the Special Prosecutor
Obstruction of Justice
Subjegation of the Constitution
Spiro Agnew resigns and is criminally guilty of tax fraud
Nixon Appoints Ford as VP
Nixon resigns in shame
Ford pardons Nixon

BUSH ADMINISTRATION
Dick Cheney
Don Rumsfeld

A cabal engineers false documents and lies to the public for the purpose of entering a war

$ Billion contracts go to VP Cheney's company - he still owns Halliburton stock openly.

Lies are exposed and a CIA Covert Agent is outed, and other CIA personnell are immediately killed in the field, potentially with an unknown number of intelligence sources

Lies and Obstruction of Justice
Vice President Cheney's Chief of Staff is indicted

Next???

Posted by: Long Beach, CA | October 28, 2005 01:21 PM

Fitzgerald has been doing this how long? And Libby is all he comes up with? Unfortunately, Fitzgerald's putzing around does nothing but make it look like he's milking this job. Yawn. Nothing new. Cheney may be many things, but dumb isn't one of them; he knows that as long as the likes of Fitzgerald gets his 15 minutes, the dog and pony show will grind on and on and on...

Posted by: OhYeah | October 28, 2005 01:33 PM

Of course, Rove sold out Libby. He is capable of anything to save his weasely behind.

Posted by: New Yorker | October 28, 2005 01:39 PM

gimme a break--Fitzgerald is a bargain--the Cisneros' special prosecutor spent 3 times as much in the same time period, and he's not even investigating anymore. i'm hoping Fitzgerald is trying to get Libby to flip on Rove by agreeing to drop the perjury count if Scooter admits there was a conspiracy...

Posted by: hoho | October 28, 2005 01:39 PM

the pittsburgh postgazette is reporting that libby resigned. http://www.postgazette.com/

Posted by: tc | October 28, 2005 01:42 PM

If you read the indictment of Libby, now on the Web, there is NO mention of Novak or the Novak column which outed Valerie Wilson. Is that column and that leak going to be the proverbial other shoe???

Posted by: stellar1 | October 28, 2005 01:47 PM

Page 8 of the indictment:

"21. On or about July 10 or July 11, 2003, LIBBY spoke to a senior official in the White House ("Official A") who advised LIBBY of a conversation Official A had earlier that week with columnist Robert Novak in which Wilson's wife was discussed as a CIA employee involved in Wilson's trip. LIBBY was advised by Official A that Novak would be writing a story about Wilson's wife."

It seems clear to me that "Official A" is Rove.

Posted by: space | October 28, 2005 02:06 PM

Sorry to hear that you go rob yesterday, but glad to know you're still alive and for that matter, working.

As for Scooter-- He had it coming, and I think Karl should start typing his resignation letter.

Hope Fitzgerald goes after the V.P too!

Posted by: Raquel | October 28, 2005 02:22 PM

Sorry to hear that you go robbed yesterday, but glad to know you're still alive.

Hope Fitzgerald goes after the V.P too!

Posted by: Raquel | October 28, 2005 02:22 PM

Space, thanks for correcting my oversight. A search of the pdf file for the indictment brought no hits for "Novak" but I think I understand now why that happened. As I recall, Novak said he talked with two White House officials, and if Libby is not one, then who is the other besides Rove?

Posted by: stellar1 | October 28, 2005 02:30 PM

One can only hope that the Administration keeps strafing at one another until the country has witnessed the first industrial strength case of assisted suicide in history. Nice work GW!

Posted by: Jenny from AZ | October 28, 2005 02:59 PM

What happened to the original 28 indictments that included Bush and Cheney? All this hype and one little scapegoat? Just when I thought someone (Fitzgerald) had the cajones to stand up to some of the globalists involved in one major conspiracy after another.
Even though threre appears to be no success (for Truth) yet, you can still feel it coming. Many will soon be exposed for their abominable acts of treason and mass murder. The blood of too many innocent people is crying for vengence!

Posted by: John | October 28, 2005 04:12 PM

1st, Emily -- I glad to hear you are all right. (Cynical Bob wonders if the criminal was a senior WH Advisor?) Seriously -- I'm glad you're okay.

2nd, I'm "happy" that Mr. Libby has been charged -- but I'm sad, too. I remember Nixon and Regan and the bitter turmoil around both. The best thing would have been if there was no crime...but, of course, there was. You have to wonder, reading the documents, why Scooter felt it necessary to lie (assuming he did) if he hadn't already broken the law...

3rd, I seem to be reading people expressing the opinion that Mr. Rove has skated. If you spend a bit more time looking into it, it appears likely that Mr. Rove could be looking at all kinds of trouble. I read an article today that suggested conspiracy, rights, the original charge (treason/espionage), and two or three other felonies are just wating for the ink to dry. We'll see, but I doubt Mr. Rove will sleep all that well this weekend. rawstory.com is pretty partisan, but their reporting on this has been pretty much on top of it all...

And Emily -- take the weekend to go take care of yourself. (I know the news never stops, but GW is relaxing at Camp David, the courts are closed, and you've had a tough week: Spa Day.)

Posted by: Bob (In Denver) | October 28, 2005 05:06 PM

Lying is part of what this Administration does. Very early in their first term, Michael Kinsley wrote a column that explored this subject. They NEVER believe that they'll get caught, change the subjct if they do, and are never held accountable by Mr. Mad Cowboy Disease. In their arrogance and hypocrisy they have bitterly divided their base, and the country.

Posted by: Dan | October 28, 2005 05:31 PM

AAAAACK! Mugged at knife point is NOT a recommended way to spend your evening girl! If you are THAT desperate for excitement I can suggest a few hundred other ways to get your kicks! Seriously though, I am sorry to hear about that but I am glad you are safe! It seems that things are getting as bad as they have ever been these days!

About the indictment newz.......... I'm only glad that I wasn't shaving my legs like I was when Ford pardoned Nixon... I thought I was going to bleed to death over that one! When I saw that Fitz only had Scooter Pie on the string I kept waiting, holding my breath, wondering when the other names would magically appear on my lap top screen until my vision finally began to fade to grey and I remembered to breathe again.

And they said Regan was the Teflon Prez!

Posted by: Julie "TheGreatSpoon" Dee | October 28, 2005 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear that you were mugged at knife point. I assume it was actually in DC? You know, maybe they need to ban knives, since they already banned handguns. Although you could have defended yourself if there was a Shall Issue law (conceal permit for those who don't know).

Posted by: Conservative_D | October 28, 2005 09:27 PM